Order of Business:
- Brainstorming in small groups: develop as large a list as possible of terms associated with all aspects of photography
- As a class we will categorize your suggestions
- A look at the structure/goals of this unit (Google Drawing)
- Some housekeeping type stuff: how to use the SSD, this blog
- Assessment strategies: tasks, assignments, projects, portfolio, exam
- Watch the videos below
- Discussion: what do you think pinhole cameras/photography can teach us about photography?
- The Pinhole Gallery – examples of pinhole work
The Art of Photography: The Camera Obscura
Key terms: reflection, refraction, projection, focal length, how light travels (why images project upside down)
The Art of Photography: The Pinhole Camera
The Pinhole Gallery: a sampling of pinhole photography and other resources
- Read The History of Photography entry from Wikipedia. At the beginning of Monday’s class I will administer a short quiz to assess your understanding of this piece. (I will provide a hardcopy)
- Bring a cleaned out Pringles can (including lid) or an oats can to class on Monday so we can start building our own cameras.